Thursday, July 06, 2006

Lets catch a rid on the bus, I mean boat. p5


Mom's just cruizin'

This was still our first ride down the Grand Canal together. We got real used to the boat system, but I kept calling them busses instead of boats. The best place to ride was up here, in thr front of the boat. You had to sit down in front, so the captain could see where he was going. All the tourists would try and stand up and take pictures of all the gorgeous buildings along the canal, but would get shouts from inside the cabin for doing so.

The boatmen of Venice were skillful, to say the least. They reminded me of New York cab drivers from movies. The large bus-boat drivers would yell at the better-paid gondola drivers, and taxi-boats to get out of his way. I saw no collisions while riding down the canal, and was constantly amazed how these men steered through the crowded waters of the Grand Canal.


Pinch me, I'm in Italy. (first of many boat taxi rides down the Grand Canal)

Most of the pictures I took along the canal are from when I was sitting right here. You can see the Rialto Bridge behind me. Its a gorgeous covered bridge that looks like someone just painted in the sky, across the canal. Actually, it was painted, but with some colorful tagging.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home